Thursday, July 16, 2009

FEEDBACK

Here are some comments I'm gathering, regarding the material in 4:Play.

I'm gonna follow the Nays and Yays sequence, as with the feedback page on my other book, EyeLeash.

* * *

NAY'S

1) "Thanks so much for submitting to us. We have not yet published any single author's collection of short stories. While what your are writing sounds very fun indeed, we must decline as it falls outside of what we publish. I wish you all the best!"
~ Publisher of books in the areas of sexuality & erotica

2) "I’m going to pass on this one. While I can appreciate the structural risks taken, I was looking for a bit more focus in the narrative; also, I thought the tone was a little too casual / conversational at points."
~ Editor

3) "Thank you for submitting your query to xxxxxxxx. I'm not sure yours is quite right for us, however, and I suggest you try to place it with a GLBT publisher."
~ Publisher that seeks "ultra-manly herpes (good grief, I mean 'heroes' -- but I'll leave the typo error as is!)" for their romance lines

4) "Was there an underage (under 18 years old) sexual relationship in the story? Please feel free to re-submit after you've made revisions."
~ Editorial panel feedback

5) "We do not like the voice of Ed Drake. This next chapter is just the same. He speaks like a child...and there are parts that are just nonsensical like: '...I’d pay the bozos inside if I had cash to spare so that I could loan the restroom for a half hour or so.' Honestly, I've got to ask: have you ever edited this thing?"
~ read the full rant from the editor (and my reply) here!

* * *

YAY'S

1) "Congratulations! We would love to publish 'New Order' on Oysters & Chocolate! Wonderful story...(2 weeks later)...What intriguing, beautiful work you do! We would love to publish 'The Only One' on O&C."
~ Samantha & Jordan, Oysters and Chocolate

2) "Hi Jess: Attached please find an acceptance letter for your submission, 'Playing the Flute.' I really enjoyed the sensuality of this short, prose like story."
~ Editor of Unmasked Online

3) "Ms. Scott, thank you for sending your poetry in for consideration. Our editors have looked it over and really enjoyed it. We'd be delighted if we could include 'Wired' in our September issue."
~ Vagabondage Press/The Battered Suitcase

4) "After careful consideration, we are going to pass on 4-Play. As a writer, you will certainly go places. As an agency, we are not quite the right match to represent you, as much as I enjoyed your work. Your scope and style are fresh and interesting. Keep writing. You are sure to find the right niche with the right editor."
~ Literary agency

5) "I am sure I will enjoy your stories if they include yaoi features."
~ DB, blogger/anime-addict

6) "That's the most exciting book ever!"
~ Kevin MacLeod (his music is featured on Playing the Flute)

7) "Progressive (short stories) sounds right to me."
~ York UK, Alumnus

8) Short e-mail correspondence with a reader:

reader:

i liked your poem in bareback (status: married). i find your theory of erotic evolution amusing. what is its provenance?

jess:

thanks! that's actually a "poeticized" version of a short story. i wrote the poem first, then lengthened it later.

i think the theory came about from my own meanderings in the areas of gender/sexuality (the "inspiration" for my just-launched erotic short story collection, 4:Play, i guess). i wanted to sum up my thoughts in an eloquent way :P

reader:

Cool. Thank you.

Gender is a construct. That makes sense.


9) "...These stories are too complex to be called erotic, too creative to be classifiable, too genre-bending to be conventionally published and far too hot for me to handle."
~ Joseph Grinton, April 2010

10) "...I like the reality of [4:Play], and feel it must ring true with audiences, say, under 40. I'm 64 and it rings true with me. America is totally twisted on the subject of sexuality, and I hope the next generations will handle that better than their predecessors. My gen. treats sex as appropriate only for:
  • 1) courtship (but abstain!),
  • 2) the first year or so of marriage (no longer!) and...most important,
  • 3) A marketing and sales device."
~ email from a reader, May 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment